Skip to main content

Hamilton Manor, New Carlisle

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Hamilton Manor. (Photo - Matthew Farfan)One of the finest examples of mid-nineteenth century architecture on the Gaspé Coast is the mansion known as Hamilton Manor.

Built in the Palladian style in 1852, this splendid home overlooks Gerard D. Levesque Boulevard in downtown New Carlisle, on the Baie-des-Chaleurs. Among other things, the home is noteworthy for its splendid windows, its four chimneys, and eight fireplaces.

Hamilton Manor was built by John Robinson Hamilton, QC. Hamilton was a Member of the Legislative Assembly of Lower Canada, representing Bonaventure County, from 1832-1834. He served again in the Parliament of the United Province of Canada from 1841 to 1844.

A lawyer by profession, Hamilton was born in Quebec City in 1808 and moved to New Carlisle in 1830. Hamilton Manor was home to several generations of his descendants. In later years, it was converted to a hotel and then a summer residence. Today, it is a bed and breakfast.