Skip to main content

Judge Thompson House, New Carlisle

Printer-friendly versionPrinter-friendly version

Thompson House, from the front. (Matthew Farfan)Judge Thompson House is a superb survivor from the first half of the nineteenth century. Overlooking Gerard D. Levesque Boulevard in New Carlisle, the house dates back to c.1838 and is one of the oldest buildings on this part of the Gaspé Coast.

Built in a style known as Anglo-Norman Regency, the Thompson House takes its name from Judge John G. Thompson, who was the son of James Thompson, who served in 1759 with the 78th Fraser Highlanders in the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in Quebec City.

In the kitchen. (Matthew Farfan)The younger Thompson was born in Quebec City in 1787, studied law, and was eventually appointed provincial judge in the District of Gaspé court in 1827. In 1859, Thompson was named to the superior court of Gaspé. He died in New Carlisle in 1868.

The servants' stairs. (Matthew Farfan)Thompson House is situated on a large lot situated well away from the road. The property has a splendid English garden. The house and grounds are entirely authentic and in an excellent state of preservation, although the ugly modern buildings on the far side of the street detract from property and actually block the view of the Baie-des-Chaleurs.

Large French windows feature prominently on the main floor of the house, as does the wraparound verandah. The interior reflects the well-to-do status of the Thompson family, and retains its nineteenth century charm.

Today, Judge Thompson House is a bed and breakfast.